Data Access and Documentation Downloads
The current version of the Food Environment Atlas has more than 280 variables, including new indicators on food banks and nutrition assistance program participation rates. All of the data included in the Atlas are aggregated into an Excel spreadsheet for easy download. These data come from a variety of sources and cover varying years and geographic levels. The documentation for each version of the data provides complete information on definitions and data sources.
In the downloadable Excel spreadsheets:
- State and county Federal information processing standards (FIPS) codes are provided.
- The variable lookup file links the short field descriptions (indicator names) used in the data file with the longer indicator names used in the Atlas.
- Unless otherwise noted with asterisks on the longer indicator names (in the variable lookup file), indicators are county-level measures. A single asterisk * denotes a State-level indicator, while a double asterisk ** denotes a regional-level indicator.
- "No data" fields are empty or referenced with "-9999".
- Supplemental data are provided in additional tabs (State- and county-level data are provided separately).
Errata: On September 10, 2020, the Food Environment Atlas data files were reposted after duplicate county records were removed from the Local category. The two counties that had duplicate records were Chester, PA (FIPS code = 42029) and Mecklenburg, NC (FIPS code = 37119).
No other values were affected.
The current version of the Food Environment Atlas data file and documentation, along with six previous versions of the data and documentation, are available:
|Data Set||Last Updated||Next Update|
|Food Environment Atlas Data Download||9/10/2020|
|Food Environment Atlas .csv Files||9/10/2020|
|September 2017 Version|
|2017 Food Environment Atlas Documentation.pdf||3/27/2018|
|August 2015 Version|
|2015 Food Environment Atlas Data Download.xls||8/10/2015|
|Food Environment Atlas documentation||8/10/2015|
|February 2014 Version|
|November 2012 Version|
|June 2012 Version|