Data Access and Documentation Downloads
The current version of the Food Environment Atlas has 211 variables, including new indicators on store availability; restaurant availability and expenditures; participants in the SNAP Program, the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), and the WIC Program; adult obesity rate for 2013; recreation and fitness facilities; and persistent-child-poverty counties. All of the data included in the Atlas are aggregated into an Excel spreadsheet for easy download. These data are from a variety of sources and cover varying years and geographic levels. The documentation for each version of the data provides complete information on definitions and data sources.
In the downloadable Excel spreadsheets:
- State and county Federal information processing standards (FIPS) codes are provided.
- The variable lookup file links the short field descriptions (indicator names) used in the data file with the longer indicator names used in the Atlas.
- Unless otherwise noted with asterisks on the longer indicator names (in the variable lookup file), indicators are county-level measures. A single asterisk * denotes a State-level indicator, while a double asterisk ** denotes a regional-level indicator.
- "No data" fields are empty or referenced with "-9999".
- Supplemental data are provided in additional tabs (State- and county-level data are provided separately).
The current version of the Food Environment Atlas data file and documentation, along with four previous versions of the data and documentation, are available:
|Data Set||Last Updated||Next Update|
|February 2014 Version|
|November 2012 Version|
|June 2012 Version|