Food Security and Nutrition Assistance

ERS monitors the food security of U.S. households through an annual, nationally representative survey. While most U.S. households are food secure, a minority of U.S. households experience food insecurity at times during the year, meaning that their access to adequate food for active, healthy living is limited by lack of money and other resources. Some experience very low food security, a more severe range of food insecurity where food intake of one or more members is reduced and normal eating patterns are disrupted. Reliable monitoring of food security contributes to the effective operation of USDA’s 15 food and nutrition assistance programs aimed at reducing food insecurity.


The prevalence of food insecurity fell from 2016 to 2017

In 2017, 88.2 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 11.8 percent of households were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 4.5 percent (5.8 million households) that had very low food security. Both food insecurity and very low food security were lower in 2017 than 2016. Food insecurity increased from 10.5 percent in 2000 to nearly 12 percent in 2004, declined to around 11 percent in 2005-07, then increased to 14.6 in 2008.

Food insecurity rates are highest for single mother households and lowest for multi-adult households with no children

In 2017, 36.8 percent of households with incomes below the Federal poverty line were food insecure. Food-insecure households include those with low food security and very low food security. Rates of food insecurity were substantially higher than the national average for single-parent households, and for Black and Hispanic households. Food insecurity was more common in large cities and rural areas than in suburban areas.

One in six households with children were affected by food insecurity in 2017

Parents often shield children from experiencing food insecurity, particularly very low food security, even when the parents themselves are food insecure. In 2017, 15.7 percent of households with children were food insecure. In about half of those food-insecure households with children, only the adults experienced food insecurity. In the other half, both children and adults were food insecure sometime during the year. In 0.7 percent of U.S. households with children (250,000 households) both children and adults experienced instances of very low food security.

Prevalence of food insecurity is not uniform across the country

Food insecurity rates differ across States due to both the characteristics of their populations and to State-level policies and economic conditions. The estimated prevalence of food insecurity during 2015-17 ranged from 7.4 percent in Hawaii to 17.9 percent in New Mexico. (Data for 2015-17 were combined to provide more reliable statistics at the State level.)