International Agriculture and Trade Outlook No. (WRS-04-03) 67 pp
India's Poultry Sector: Development and Prospects
Poultry meat is the fastest growing component of global meat demand, and India, the world's second largest developing country, is experiencing rapid growth in its poultry sector. In India, poultry sector growth is being driven by rising incomes and a rapidly expanding middle class, together with the emergence of vertically integrated poultry producers that have reduced consumer prices by lowering production and marketing costs. Integrated production, market transition from live birds to chilled and frozen products, and policies that ensure supplies of competitively priced domestic or imported corn and soybeans are keys to future poultry industry growth in India.
Keywords: India, developing countries, poultry, demand, prices, vertical integration, contract growing, feed policy, trade, simulation model
In this publication...
- India's Poultry Sector: Development and Prospects
- Abstract, Acknowledgments, and Contents
- Executive Summary
- Recent Trends in Poultry Supply and Demand
- Consumer Demand and Preferences
- Poultry Production: Structure and Technical Performance
- Poultry Marketing and Prices
- Poultry Feed Supply and Demand
- Prospects for India?s Poultry Sector
- Appendix Tables
- Appendix 2.1: India Poultry-Feed Model: Characteristics
- Appendix 2.2: India Poultry-Feed Model: Equations and Variable List
- Appendix 2.3: India Poultry-Feed Model: Model Data and Parameters
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.