International Agriculture and Trade Outlook No. (WRS-013) 85 pp
Agriculture in Brazil and Argentina: Developments and Prospects for Major Field Crops
This report identifies key factors underlying the agricultural productivity growth and enhanced international competitiveness of Brazil and Argentina in the past decade. Economic and policy reforms, infrastructure development, and enhanced use of agricultural inputs that drove output growth during the 1990s are discussed. This report also compares Brazilian, Argentine, and U.S. soybean production costs and evaluates the combined impact of production, marketing, and transportation costs on the overall export competitiveness of each country's soybean producers. Finally, the outlook for continued growth in output and exports of key commodities is assessed.
Keywords: Brazil, Argentina, soybeans, corn, wheat, agriculture, policy, infrastructure, production costs
In this publication...
- Agriculture in Brazil and Argentina: Developments and Prospects for Major Field Crops
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: A Comparison of Economic and Agricultural Settings
- Chapter 3: Soybeans, Agriculture, and Policy in Argentina
- Chapter 4: Soybeans, Agriculture, and Policy in Brazil
- Chapter 5: Soybean Production Costs and Export Competitiveness in the United States, Brazil, and Argentina
- Chapter 6: Outlook and Issues Confronting Future Development
- List of Tables
- List of Figures
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.