Food Security Assessment Situation and Outlook No. (GFA-20) 58 pp
Food Security Assessment, 2008-09
Food security in 70 developing countries is projected to deteriorate over the next decade, according to USDA's Economic Research Service. After rising nearly 11 percent from 2007 to 2008, the number of food-insecure people in the developing countries analyzed by ERS researchers is estimated to rise to 833 million in 2009, an almost 2-percent rise from 2008 to 2009. Despite a decline in food prices in late 2008, deteriorating purchasing power and food security are expected in 2009 because of the growing financial deficits and higher inflation that have occurred in recent years. Food-insecure people are defined as those consuming less than the nutritional target of 2,100 calories per day per person.
Keywords: Food security, prices, production, commercial imports, export earnings, capital inflows, remittances, foreign direct investment, food aid, developing countries
In this publication...
- Food Security Assessment, 2008-09
- North Africa?Country Statistical Tables for North Africa (supporting data)
- Sub-Saharan Africa?Country Statistical Tables for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), (supporting data)
- Asia?Country Statistical Tables for Asia (supporting data)
- Latin America and the Caribbean?Country Statistical Tables for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) (supporting data)
- Commonwealth of Independent States?Country Statistical Tables for Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) (supporting data)
- Abstract, Preface, Acknowledgments, Contents, List of Figures and Tables, and Summary
- Overview: Food-Security Impact of the Financial Downturn, 2008-18,
- Food Security: Regional and Country Perspectives
- Developing Countries Face Urbanization Growth, Food-Security Worries, and Food-Safety Challenges
- Appendix?Food Security Model: Definition and Methodology
- Report summary
International Food Security Assessment, 2022–32
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.
- International Food Security Assessment, 2011-21
- International Food Security Assessment, 2010 Update: Improved Production Mitigated Impact of Higher Food Commodity Prices