Food Security Assessment Situation and Outlook No. (GFA-19) 54 pp
Food Security Assessment, 2007
The number of food insecure people in the 70 lower income countries covered in this report rose between 2006 and 2007, from 849 million to 982 million. Food insecure people are those consuming less than the nutritional target of 2,100 calories per day. The food security situation of these countries is projected to deteriorate over the next decade. The distribution gap-an indicator of food access-is projected to rise from 44 million tons in 2007 to more than 57 million tons in 2017. This is more than seven times the amount of food aid received by these countries in 2006. Sub-Saharan Africa, already the most vulnerable region with the lowest calorie intake levels, will suffer the greatest deterioration in food security.
Keywords: Food security, food aid, food imports, oil prices, biofuels, ethanol, diet composition, obesity, calorie availability, Sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Commonwealth of Independent States
In this publication...
- Food Security Assessment, 2007
- Report summary
- Abstract, Preface, Acknowledgments, Contents, List of Figures and Tables, and Summary
- Overview: Food Security in Developing Countries, 2007-17
- Global Diet Composition:Factors Behind the Changes and Implications of the New Trends
- Appendix?Food Security Model: Definition and Methodology
- North Africa?Country Statistical Tables for North Africa (supporting data)
- Sub-Saharan Africa?Country Statistical Tables for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), (supporting data)
- Asia?Country Statistical Tables for Asia (supporting data)
- Latin America and the Caribbean?Country Statistical Tables for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) (supporting data)
- Commonwealth of Independent States?Country Statistical Tables for Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) (supporting data)
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.
- International Food Security Assessment, 2011-21
- International Food Security Assessment, 2010 Update: Improved Production Mitigated Impact of Higher Food Commodity Prices