Food Security Assessment Situation and Outlook No. (GFA-16) 60 pp
Food Security Assessment, GFA 16
Just over 1 billion people in the 70 low-income countries studied in this report are estimated to have consumed less than the recommended nutritional requirements in 2004. This marks an increase from more than 830 million in 2003. Over the coming decade, food security is projected to improve most significantly in Asia, followed by Latin America and the Caribbean. The situation is expected to deteriorate in Sub-Saharan Africa, where deep poverty, political unrest, and the effects of HIV/AIDS hinder prospects for improvement.
Keywords: Food security, food aid, production, imports, Sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, Asia, Latin America, Commonwealth of Independent States
In this publication...
- Food Security Assessment, GFA 16
- Abstract, Preface, and Acknowledgments
- Global Food Security: 2004 Assessment and Prospects
- Forces Shaping Food Security: Factors Affecting Production
- Forces Shaping Food Security: Factors Affecting Imports
- Genetically Engineered Corn in South Africa: Implications for Food Security in the Region
- Appendix 1: Food Security Model: Definition and Methodology
- Appendix tables 2a and 2b: List of countries and their food gaps in 2004
- Appendix 3: Country indicators
- North Africa?grain production, imports, and food gaps (4 countries)
- Sub-Saharan Africa?grain production, imports, and food gaps (37 countries)
- Asia?grain production, imports, and food gaps (10 countries)
- Latin America and the Caribbean?grain production, imports, and food gaps (11 countries)
- Commonwealth of Independent States?grain production, imports, and food gaps (8 countries)
- Commodity import shares of domestic supply: 1992-93 and 2001-02?cereal, vegetable oil, meat, sugar, and pulses
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.
- International Food Security Assessment, 2011-21
- International Food Security Assessment, 2010 Update: Improved Production Mitigated Impact of Higher Food Commodity Prices