USDA’s Economic Research Service (ERS) looks forward to joining the Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing (SABEW) 2023 Conference from April 20 - 22nd, 2023. During this conference, ERS Communication Specialists Jacqueline Michael-Midkiff and Valerie Negron will share ERS resources and tools available to assist journalists in their reporting.
- Mark Your Calendar! ERS Session Details
- What’s New at ERS?
- Current Research
- Food Access & Environment Tools
- Upcoming Reports & Publications
- Visuals, Charts & More
- Follow Us on Social!
Saturday, April 22nd at 9 a.m. ET
- Inflation & Food Insecurity: Deep Dive into USDA Data
Jacqueline Michael-Midkiff, ERS Communication Specialist
Thomas Mantz, Feeding Tampa Bay President and CEO
Writing a story on food? Food security, food access, food prices, and food inflation are frequent topics of interest to a variety of audiences, from policymakers and advocacy organizations to the general public. Come learn about research and resources available on these topics from ERS. Join Jacqueline as she highlights how to find these data on the ERS website so you know how to find them when you need them. During this session, you'll also hear from Feeding Tampa Bay President and CEO Thomas Mantz.
- Charts of Note Mobile App – Offers free, 24/7 access to thousands of ERS on your mobile device.
- Data Training Webinar Series – Find out how ERS data are used and where to find them on the website when you need them.
- Low-Income and Low-Foodstore-Access Census Tracts, 2015–19
- The Food and Nutrition Assistance Landscape: Fiscal Year 2021 Annual Report
- The Rural Food-Away-from-Home Landscape, 1990–2019
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2021
- International Food Security Assessment, 2022–32
- Click here for additional reports, Amber Waves articles, working papers, and more from ERS.
- Click here for a list of upcoming ERS publications and data products.
- Food Access Research Atlas
The Food Access Research Atlas (FARA) is a mapping tool that allows users to investigate multiple indicators of food store access. This tool expands upon previous estimates to provide a spatial overview of food access indicators by census tract, incorporates alternative estimates of low-income and low-access census tracts, and offers contextual information for all census tracts and many demographics in the U.S.
- Food Environment Atlas
The Food Environment Atlas is a web-based mapping tool developed by ERS that allows users to compare U.S. counties in terms of their “food environment”—indicators that help determine and reflect a community’s access to affordable, healthy food.
- Food Price Outlook
The Food Price Outlook provides food price data and forecasts changes in the Consumer Price Index and Producer Price Index for food.
- Food Security in the United States
This product provides information about publicly available data from national surveys that include the U.S. Food Security Survey Module. Technical information is provided to facilitate appropriate use of the data, and links are provided to access data on line or to order the data files on CD-ROM.
- Data Visualizations
- Charts of Note
- State Fact Sheets
- Ag & Food Statistics: Charting the Essentials