The prevalence of food insecurity in 2020 is unchanged from 2019

The prevalence of food insecurity in 2020 is unchanged from 2019

In 2020, 89.5 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 10.5 percent of households were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 3.9 percent (5.1 million households) that had very low food security. Food insecurity was unchanged from 10.5 percent in 2019. Food insecurity increased from 10.7 percent in 2001 to nearly 12 percent in 2004, declined to 11 percent in 2005–07, then increased to 14.6 percent in 2008. Food insecurity peaked at 14.9 percent in 2011 and has declined since.


Download larger size chart (1023 pixels by 719, 72 dpi)