Agricultural Economic Report No. (AER-813) 33 pp
Agricultural Productivity and Efficiency in Russia and Ukraine: Building on a Decade of Reform
The purpose of the report is to determine the potential for increased grain exports from Russia and Ukraine. The report reviews the evidence on the productivity of agricultural production, and explores some of the causes of inefficient practices. Results of the analyses show that implementing institutional reforms would allow productivity and efficiency in the agricultural sector to improve. Consequently, completing the reform program could allow Russia and Ukraine to emerge as significant grain exporters in the future.
Keywords: Russia, Ukraine, Former Soviet Union, crop production, institutional reform, grain prices, grain trade, transition economies
In this publication...
- Entire Report
- Abstract, Acknowledgments, Contents
- The Agricultural Sector Before and After the Breakup of the Soviet Union
- Empirical Measures of Corporate Farm Productivity
- The Future of Agriculture-Specific and Economywide Institutional Reform
- Modeling Agricultural Reform in Russia and Ukraine