Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America
The Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America assembles statistics on three broad categories of socioeconomic factors:
- People: Demographic data from the latest American Community Survey, including age, race and ethnicity, migration and immigration, education, household size and family composition. Data on veterans, including service period, education, unemployment, income, and demographic characteristics are also available.
- Jobs: Economic data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources, including information on employment trends, unemployment, industrial composition, and household income.
- County classifications: The rural-urban continuum, economic dependence, persistent poverty, persistent child poverty, population loss, onshore oil/natural gas counties, and other ERS county typology codes.
What can users do with the Atlas?
- View county-level maps for socioeconomic indicators
- View the entire country or zoom into specific regions, States, or county areas
- For any county, view a pop-up window showing data for the indicators in the broad category for that county, with the option to download the selection
- Print a version of the map or save the image in a graphics-file format that may be added to a document or presentation
- Download a spreadsheet or CSV files containing all the data items for all U.S. counties
Data last revised May 31, 2017. The next update is planned for June 2017.