ARMS Farm Financial and Crop Production Practices
What Is the Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS)?
The Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's primary source of information on the production practices, resource use, and economic well-being of America’s farms and ranches. The results of this survey give farmers, ranchers, and many others factual insights into many aspects of farming, ranching, and conditions in agricultural communities.
Access ARMS Data
Users can view and download data that summarize production practices, resource use, and financial well-being across different types of farms and ranches.
- Crop Production Practices
Status and trends in crop production practices for several field crops. To access these data, see Tailored reports: Crop Production Practices. Data were last updated April 23, 2015, reflecting the 2013 survey.
- Farm Structure and Finance
ERS' data dissemination tool on the structure and financial status and performance of U.S. farm operators, their households, and farm businesses. The tool allows for interaction with the ARMS data, includes charting capability, and has an application program interface (API) for direct queries. Data were last updated December 16, 2021, to include 2020 data.
- Tailored reports: Farm Structure and Finance
- ARMS application program interface (API)
- A bulk data file provides an extract of summary data for 2020. The file contains national estimates for each of the tailored reports across all available categories of farm types and operator characteristics; additional years are available upon request from the ERS ARMS Team. Complete State-level data can be obtained through the API.
- Short videos are available that introduce the ARMS webtool and run through a few API examples.