ARMS Farm Financial and Crop Production Practices
What Is the Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS)?
The Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's primary source of information on the production practices, resource use, and economic well-being of America’s farms and ranches. The results of this survey give farmers, ranchers, and many others factual insights into many aspects of farming, ranching, and conditions in agricultural communities.
Access ARMS Data
Users can view and download data that summarize production practices, resource use, and financial well-being across different types of farms and ranches.
- Crop Production Practices
Status and trends in crop production practices for several field crops. To access these data, see Tailored reports: Crop Production Practices. Data were last updated April 23, 2015, reflecting the 2013 survey.
- Farm Structure and Finance
Structure and financial status and performance of U.S. farm operators, their households, and farm businesses. ERS has released a new ARMS data dissemination tool developed in response to stakeholder feedback. The tool allows for more interaction with the ARMS data, includes charting capability, and has an application program interface (API) for direct queries. Data were last updated August 29, 2019, to include revised 2017 data that reflect adjusted survey weights based on the 2017 Census of Agriculture farm numbers, and revised acreage/production metrics from the National Agricultural Statistics Service. Note that the application program interface (API) data and format have been revised with this release.
Errata: On August 2, 2019, the data tool Tailored Reports: Farm Structure and Finance was corrected to address a programming error that incorrectly showed, as part of the bar graphs, the number of farms in the United States and each State. The programming error affected the graphics only and did not impact any data displayed in the tables or downloads.
- Tailored reports: Farm Structure and Finance
- ARMS application program interface (API)
- A bulk data file provides an extract of summary data for 2017. The file contains national estimates for each of the tailored reports across all available categories of farm types and operator characteristics; additional years are available upon request from the ERS ARMS Team. Complete State-level data and more detailed categorical analysis can be obtained through the API.
- Short videos are available that introduce the ARMS webtool and run through a few API examples.