ARMS Farm Financial and Crop Production Practices
What Is the Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS)?
The Agricultural Resource Management Survey (ARMS) is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's primary source of information on the production practices, resource use, and economic well-being of America’s farms and ranches. The results of this survey give farmers, ranchers, and many others factual insights into many aspects of farming, ranching, and conditions in agricultural communities.
Access ARMS Data
Users can view and download data that summarize production practices, resource use, and financial well-being across different types of farms and ranches.
- Crop Production Practices
Status and trends in crop production practices for several field crops. To access these data, see Tailored reports: Crop Production Practices. Data were last updated April 23, 2015 reflecting the 2013 survey.
- Farm Structure and Finance
Structure and financial status and performance of U.S. farm operators, their households, and farm businesses. ERS has released a new ARMS data dissemination tool developed in response to stakeholder feedback. The tool allows for more interaction with the ARMS data, includes charting capability, and has an application program interface (API) for direct queries. Data were last added December 12, 2018 reflecting the 2017 survey.
- Tailored reports: Farm Structure and Finance
- ARMS application program interface (API)
- Zipped bulk data file containing all of the summary data for 2017 is available. Note that the file is larger than the maximum observation limit for Excel and must be opened in another software program. Additional years are available upon request from the ERS ARMS Team.
- Short videos are available that introduce the ARMS webtool and run through a few API examples.