Note: This topic page may contain material that has not yet been updated to reflect the new Farm Act, signed into law on February 7. ERS has published highlights and some implications of the Act’s new programs and provisions. Sign up for the ERS Farm Bill e-newsletter to receive notices of topic page updates and other new Farm Bill-related materials on the ERS website.
Ethanol and Bioenergy
- Feed Outlook, monthly
- Feed Yearbook, annual
- Issues and Prospects in Corn, Soybeans, and Wheat Futures Markets: New Entrants, Price Volatility,
- Performance Implications, Feed Outlook special article, August 2009
- Agricultural Commodity Price Spikes in the 1970s and 1990s: Valuable Lessons for Today, Amber Waves, March 2009
- Grain Prices Impact Entire Livestock Production Cycle, Amber Waves, March 2009
- Corn Prices Near Record High, But What About Food Costs?, Amber Waves, February 2008
- The U.S. Grain Consumption Landscape: Who Eats Grain, In What Form, Where, and How Much?, Economic Research Report, November 2007
- Feed Grains Backgrounder, Feed Outlook special article, March 2007
- The Changing Face of the U.S. Grain System, Economic Research Report, February 2007
- Characteristics and Production Costs of U.S. Corn Farms, Economic Information Bulletin, February 2006
- Forecasting Feed Grain Prices in a Changing Environment, Feed Outlook special article, July 2004
- USDA Feed Grains Baseline, 2004-13, Market Outlook page, March 2004
- Soil, Nutrient, and Water Management Systems Used in U.S. Corn Production, Agriculture Information Bulletin, April 2002
Ethanol and Bioenergy
- High RIN Prices Signal Constraints to U.S. Ethanol Expansion, pdf pages 18-22, Feed Outlook special article, April 2013
- Full Throttle U.S. Ethanol Expansion Faces Challenges Down the Road, Amber Waves, September 2009
- Ethanol Co-Product Use in U.S. Cattle Feeding: Lessons Learned and Considerations, Feed Outlook special article, April 2009
- U.S. Ethanol Expansion Driving Changes Throughout the Agricultural Sector, Amber Waves, September 2007
- Ethanol Expansion in the United States: How Will the Agricultural Sector Adjust?, Feed Outlook special article, May 2007 (see narrated slideshow for an overview)
- Ethanol Reshapes the Corn Market, Amber Waves, May 2007
- The Energy Balance of Corn Ethanol: An Update, Agricultural Economics Report, July 2002
- New Market Realities Affect Crop Program Choices, Amber Waves, November 2008
- 2008 Farm Act: Where Will the Money Go?, Amber Waves, November 2008
- 2008 Farm Bill Side-By-Side, ERS web product, August 2008
- NAFTA at 13: Implementation Nears Completion, International Agriculture and Trade Report, March 2007
- Valuing Counter-Cyclical Payments: Implications for Producer Risk Management and Program Administration, Economic Research Report, February 2007
- Forecasting the Counter-Cyclical Payment Rate for U.S. Corn: An Application of the Futures Price Forecasting Model, Feed Outlook special article, January 2005 (the Excel spreadsheet models for corn, soybeans, and wheat are available at Season-Average Price Forecasts)
- Analysis of the U.S. Commodity Loan Program with Marketing Loan Provisions, Agricultural Economics Report, April 2001
- Price Determination for Corn and Wheat: The Role of Market Factors and Government Programs, Technical Bulletin, August 1999
- Global Agricultural Supply and Demand: Factors Contributing to the Recent Increase in Food Commodity Prices, International Agriculture and Trade Report, July 2008
- U.S.-Mexico Corn Trade During the NAFTA Era: New Twists to an Old Story, Feed Outlook special article, May 2004
- Livestock Feeding and Feed Imports in the European Union-A Decade of Change, Feed Outlook special article, July 2002
- Is China's Corn Market at a Turning Point?, Feed Outlook special article, May 2004
- Mycotoxin Hazards and Regulations: Impacts on Food and Animal Feed Crop Trade, International Trade and Food Safety: Economic Theory and Case Studies, Agricultural Economic Report, November 2003
- The New Agricultural Trade Negotiations: Background and Issues for the U.S. Coarse Grain Sector, Feed Yearbook, April 2001
U.S. Department of Agriculture
National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) provides data on yields, acreage, production, and prices by State and nationally, as well as current crop progress, commodity specific reports, and adoption of biotech crops.
- Quick Stats is a searchable database containing information on crop yields, acreage, production, and prices at the State and national levels back to 1800.
- Crop Progress has information on planting and harvesting progress, as well as overall condition of selected crops in major producing States; published weekly during the growing season.
- Statistics by State provides links to State sites for information on crop progress; on State plantings, production, and yields; and on county estimates.
World Agricultural Outlook Board (WAOB) provides data on supply and utilization of corn and other principal crops for the United States and other countries.
Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) provides current cash grain prices and market news, as well as information on grain transportation and exporting, and standardization and grading.
- Crop Policies gives descriptions of available policies and a list of eligible crops.
National Agricultural Library, National Agricultural Library Digital Repository (NALDR) offers online browsing of historical ERS Agricultural Economic Reports and Agriculture Information Bulletins.
Iowa State University's Corn Production presents information on corn production, processing, marketing, and use.