The Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America assembles statistics on four broad categories of socioeconomic factors:
- People: Demographic data from the latest American Community Survey, including age, race and ethnicity, migration and immigration, education, household size and family composition. Data have been added on veterans, including service period, education, unemployment, income, and demographic characteristics.
- Jobs: Economic data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources, including information on employment trends, unemployment, industrial composition, and household income.
- Agriculture: Indicators from the latest Census of Agriculture, including number and size of farms, operator characteristics, off-farm income, and government payments.
- County classifications: The rural-urban continuum, economic dependence, persistent poverty, population loss, onshore oil/natural gas counties, and other ERS county codes.
What can users do with the Atlas?
- View county-level maps for over 60 socioeconomic indicators
- View the entire country or zoom into specific regions, States, or county areas
- For any county, view a pop-up window showing data for the indicators in the broad category for that county, with the option to download the selection
- Print a version of the map or save the image in a graphics-file format that may be added to a document or presentation
- Download a spreadsheet containing all the data for a selected county or for all U.S. counties.
For Developers: grab the API.