Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry Outlook (monthly) analyzes and presents short-term forecasts for production, stocks, trade, and per capita consumption of poultry and eggs; examines changes in poultry and egg prices at the wholesale and retail levels.
U.S. Broiler Industry: Background Statistics and Information (updated periodically) offers production, trade, and price data for the U.S. broiler industry.
Organic Poultry and Eggs Capture High Price Premiums and Growing Share of Specialty Markets (December 2006, see link below) examines trends in markets, animal numbers, and prices for organic poultry and eggs. Markets for these products in the United States are expanding rapidly. Price comparisons between organic and conventional broilers and eggs show significant organic price premiums.Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry Outlook: December 2006
Implications of Russia's New Poultry Import Quotas (April 2003) examines the impact of new quotas on livestock imports imposed by Russia in April 2003. One of the quotas is an absolute quota on poultry meat imports. Because Russia is one of the largest destinations for U.S. poultry products, the quota could significantly affect U.S. poultry exports and prices.
U.S. Department of Agriculture
National Agriculture Statistics Service (NASS) provides data on yields, acreage, production, and prices by State and nationally, and commodity-specific reports.
- Poultry Slaughter – Monthly report on the number, average weight of birds slaughtered and the amount of meat produced; data for broilers, other chicken, turkeys, and ducks.
- Chicken and Eggs – Monthly report on the number of birds in the laying flock, the number of eggs produced, and the average number of eggs per produced per month.
- Cold Storage – Monthly report detailing the amount of poultry meat (broilers, other chicken, and turkey) held in cold storage throughout the nation.
- Turkey Hatchery – Weekly report describing the number of turkey eggs placed in hatcheries and the number of poults hatched and placed on farms for growout.
- Broiler Hatchery – Weekly report of the number of eggs placed in hatcheries and the number of chicks placed on farms.
- Poultry Charts and Maps – Egg, broiler, and turkey production by year and by State.
Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) provides current cash grain prices and market news, as well as information on grain transportation and exporting, and standardization and grading.
- Poultry and Egg Market News Reports
- Daily broiler prices at various markets throughout the country, reported three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday); Friday report gives average weekly prices.
- Daily turkey prices at various markets throughout the country, reported three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday); Friday report gives average weekly prices.
- Egg prices at various markets throughout the country, reported twice a week (Monday and Friday); Friday report gives average weekly prices.
- Egg and Poultry National Weekly Review – Weekly report (Thursday) containing prices for eggs and broilers, and slaughter data for broilers, other chicken, and turkey.
Foreign Agricultural Service provides data on current U.S. poultry and egg export sales; data on supply and demand (including imports and exports) for major poultry and egg trading countries; and current world market and trade reports.
- Current World Production, Market and Trade Reports – Information and data on world markets and trade for beef, pork, broilers, turkey, and eggs.
- Attaché reports – Searchable database of reports submitted from various major embassies outlining current production, imports, exports, and consumption of poultry and egg products.
National Agricultural Library, National Agricultural Library Digital Repository (NALDR) offers online browsing of historical ERS Agricultural Economic Reports and Agriculture Information Bulletins.