Structural and Financial Characteristics of U.S. Farms, 1995: 20th Annual Family Farm Report to Congress
by Judith E. Sommer, Robert Hoppe
, Robert Green, and Penni Korb
Agriculture Information Bulletin No. (AIB-746) 118 pp, December 1998
National average statistics related to farm production mask the diversity in the Nation's 2 million farms and the people who operate them. Farms in the United States differ not only by size (sales and acres) and type of production, but also by organizational characteristics (land ownership, legal organization, contracting arrangements) and financial characteristics (debt, assets, income, expenditures). Farm operators and their households vary with respect to demographic characteristics (occupation, age, education), financial characteristics (dependence on farm income, operator/spouse labor allocation), and management characteristics (information sources, business goals).
Keywords: Farm structure, farm income, financial performance, farm management, farm business, government payments, farm loans, computer use, minority farmers, female farm operators, farm operator household, family farm, small farm
In this publication...
- Frontmatter (title page, contents, highlights), 31 kb
- Introduction and Background, 44 kb
- Characteristics of Farm Businesses, 488 kb
- Characteristics of Farm Operators, 61 kb
- Characteristics of Farm Operator Households, 43 kb
- Appendix A: Glossary, 35 kb
- Appendix B: ARMS Coverage and Statistical Measures, 13 kb
- Appendix C: Measuring Farm Operator Household Income, 17 kb
- Appendix D: ARMS Estimates and Other Sources of Agricultural Data, 15 kb
- Appendix E: A New Typology of Small Farms, 28 kb
- Appendix F: References, 10 kb
- Appendix G: Appendix Tables, 96 kb
- Transmittal Letters, 38 kb
- Entire Report, 864 kb
Need help with PDFs?