Issues in Agricultural and Rural Finance
by Robert Collender
Agriculture Information Bulletin No. (AIB-724) 56 pp, August 1998
The Food and Rural Economics Division of ERS designed the following series of policy-oriented, timely publications to provide background and analysis for decisionmakers and others. The Federal Government is heavily involved in both public and private finance in the rural and agricultural sectors. Such involvement takes the form of lending and loan guarantees from Federal agencies, chartering special purpose lenders, providing regulation and supervision, and financing rural development and poverty programs. This series of reports focuses on current and emerging issues in agricultural and rural finance. Each report is short, nontechnical, and policy oriented, providing decisionmakers and others with timely analyses of policy proposals and emerging issues and trends.
Keywords: rural finance, agricultural finance, farm credit, Farm Credit System, rural banks, government sponsored enterprises, rural development, rural poverty, Federal taxes
In this publication...
- AIB-724-01--Can Federal Action Improve Efficiency in the Market for Farm Loans? March 1996--Contact: Robert Collender , 143 kb
- AIB-724-02--How Would Changes to the Earned Income Tax Credit Affect Rural Recipients? April 1996--Contact: Ron Durst , 379 kb
- AIB-724-03--How Would Rural Areas Fare Under Block Grants? April 1996--Contact: Richard Reeder , 312 kb
- AIB-724-04--Is More Credit the Best Way to Assist Beginning Low-Equity Farmers? September 1996--Contact: Charles Dodson , 217 kb
- AIB-724-05--Are Revolving Loan Funds A Better Way To Finance Rural Development? October 1996--Contacts: James Mikesell and George Wallace , 218 kb
- AIB-724-06--Are Farmer Bankruptcies A Good Indicator of Rural Financial Stress? December 1996--Contact: Jerome Stam , 216 kb
- AIB-724-07--Do Farmers Need Tax-Deferred Savings Accounts to Help Manage Income Risk? June 1997--Contact: James Monke , 123 kb
- AIB-724-08--How Would Proposed Changes in Federal Estate Taxes Affect Farmers? June 1997--Contact: Douglas Maxwell , 123 kb
- AIB-724-09--Do Farmers Need a Separate Chapter in the Bankruptcy Code? October 1997--Contact: Jerome Stam , 50 kb
- AIB-724-10--Would More Rural Bank Access to Nonlocal Funds Provide Public Benefits? December 1997--Contact: Robert Collender, 455 kb
- AIB-724-11--When Are Farm Interest Rate Subsidy Programs Most Effective? February 1998--Contacts: Steven R. Koenig and Charles B. Dodson , 41 kb
- AIB-724-12--Can Federal Policy Changes Improve the Performance of Rural Mortgage Markets? August 1998--Contact: Jim Mikesell , 32 kb
Need help with PDFs?